You might be wondering if a business blog is right for you. Maybe you started blogging and got discouraged because you were not getting very many followers or maybe you simply don’t know where to begin.
Blogging is very important for all businesses in our technology driven society. A blog allows you to engage better with your customers, improve your search engine rankings and position yourself as a thought leader in your industry. Studies have shown that people generally trust blog articles more than press releases. Starting to rethink a business blog?
Tackling a business blog can feel like a huge undertaking, forcing you into uncharted territory. If your company is considering blogging for the first time, here are a few things to consider:
- Write Lots of Content: Content is key when it comes to any successful blog. Create epic content. Create stuff people want to read. Create unique, engaging and original blog posts. By delivering valuable and informative content, you are showing your customers that you are an expert in your field.
- Write Catchy Headlines: Catchy headlines and titles entice people to read. The more interesting and appealing your title is, the more people will be willing to click on it to read.
- Have a Visually Appealing Site: Although content is king on any blog, it is also important to give some attention to the look of your site. You want to choose colors, fonts and graphics that relate to your brand and provide a good user experience for your visitors.
- Interact with the Blogging Community: Once you have a blog, it is important to start interacting with the blogging community. Reading and commenting on other blogs gives you the opportunity to start conversations with people within your niche. Get involved with both large and small blogs.
- Use Social Media: Using Twitter and Facebook accounts as tools to continue conversations off of your blog.
- Make Your Blog Easily Accessible: Create a link on your website so that visitors can easily find your blog. Post links on your Facebook and Twitter accounts so that readers have another outlet to get to your blog. You want people to find your content easily and quickly in order to join in on the conversation.
- Only Post Content: Having great articles on your site is the most important component of a successful blog. However, you should also think about adding other ways for people to engage with your company. Whether you use surveys, videos, photographs, podcasts or any other type of multimedia, it is important to give you users some variety.
- Speak At Your Readers: Speak to your readers. You don’t want your readers to feel like they are being talked down to or get the feeling that you are superior to them. You want to start a conversation, so write your post as if you were sitting down and catching up with an old pal.
- Shy Away from Humor: Using humor is a great way to draw an audience in and keep them reading. People like to smile and laugh, so why not make your blog something they will enjoy?
- Give up: You are not going to get hundreds of hits or multiple comments on your first blog post. You might not even get one person to read that first post (without you directing them to it from another source such as LinkedIn, Twitter or an email). Do not get discouraged! Gaining traffic and frequent visitors to your site is going to take time. Be consistent and blog on a regular basis and visitors will ultimately come.
Utilizing these tips can help make your business blog a success. So, what are you waiting for? Start blogging today!